Information for Prospective Parents 2013
Vision: To be the premier school for children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
1. Admission criteria for The Key School depends on:
• A primary diagnosis of autism by a medical professional who is registered with the HPCSA
• The child being between the ages of 2 and 10 (inclusive)
• An appointment at the school with your child in attendance when a screening interview with parents and a screening assessment of the child by therapists will take place. Parents will be informed on the following day whether the school can meet the needs of your child and will confirm a date for a two week assessment.
2. Admission procedure
2.1 A two week assessment/observation period at the school is required. This entails one-on-one assessments and observations which are conducted by a transdisciplinary team consisting of a:
A feedback meeting with the parents takes place at the end of the two week assessment period
2.2 when reports and findings are discussed. The Individual Development Programme (IDP) process begins after the feedback meeting when a second meeting will take place with the parents.
3. Should parents consent to the assessment period they will be required to furnish the following forms that need to be filled in and returned to school on the day the child starts the assessment period:
• Intake questionnaire
• Relevant medical and supplementary information
4. Fee structure:
Fees are payable in advance on the 1st day of the month. Fees for 2013 are structured as follows:
• Assessment and reports fee: R4 800
• School fees R6000 p/m
• Aftercare R950 per month – Late collection after 17h30, R50 per half an hour
5. Classroom Setup
There are five classes at the school with a maximum of 6 - 8 children in a class. A class is overseen by a teacher and a class assistant. The youngest children have a teacher and two class assistants.